Housing Disrepair Claims

Housing Disrepair Claims have been a hot topic this year. Especially since the UK Government decided not to pass a law forcing landlords to make homes fit for human habitation.

Claiming for housing disrepair can include the following:

  • A claim for compensation for the cost of the repairs to the property;
  • Inconvenience due to the Landlords failure to repair and any disruption caused by the works;
  • Personal injury related to the conditions such as asthma caused by damp or mould;
  • A claim for reduction or refund of rent if they haven’t been able to use part of or all of their home because of the disrepair;
  • A potential claim for damage to belongings or furniture caused, for example, by damp and mould.

Disrepair includes damp or rising damp causing condensation and mould in the property. This can be caused by a leaking roof, broken or blocked gutters, cracked walls, leaking pipes or rotten window frames.

However, condensation is the most common form of damp in rented properties. This occurs when moisture in the air comes in contact with a cold surface, such as a window or a cold wall. Mould can grow on walls and window frames.

Severe mould growth can be a health problem for people with asthma or other chest problems and can exacerbate these conditions.

There is a set protocol for dealing with these claims and the landlord has 20 days in which to respond to a ‘letter of claim’ so the timescales are tight.

Legal aid is only available in Housing Disrepair claims where the disrepair is a serious risk to a person’s health and safety so most claims do not qualify.

There is also no costs protection in Housing Disrepair claims and so a policy of insurance will be needed if you wish us to act on a no win no fee basis which we can obtain for you.*

* Subject to entering into a No Win No Fee agreement in conjunction with an After the Event insurance policy and complying with your responsibilities under its terms.